Helix is an innovative direct-to-consumer sleep brand aiming to empower individuals to be their best selves through products built to their sleep needs. Our flagship mattresses are designed to your body type, sleeping position, and mattress preferences using our proprietary sleep technology. Our sleep products use the highest quality materials and are 100% US made. We offer free shipping directly to your doorstep, a 100-night sleep trial, and we are priced at 1/3 of traditional retail.
Since launching in August of 2015, the company has sold tens of thousands of mattresses and has over 250 million hours slept on our beds. Helix is Series A funded and headquartered in New York City. Learn more at www.helixsleep.com.
Our e-commerce platform is our direct channel to our customers. Equal parts education, experience, and experimentation, our web app is anything but your standard online store. As we continue to scale, we’re adding key members to our team who can own, architect and expand key pieces of our app.
Small team, big mission, can-do attitude
The Helix Engineering team maintains both the consumer-facing website through which we sell our products, as well as our in-house operations software. Our work is critical to the success of Helix.
The team has a very flat structure, where each member assumes ownership of the project or feature that they are developing, and works closely with stakeholders in other parts of the company to deliver on their needs.
If you are looking for a diversity in the types of projects and technologies and enjoy taking ownership of solutions, you may be a great fit with for our engineering culture.
Our current web applications are built on a monolithic Laravel 5.6, using both MySQL and Redis datastores.
We are seeking an ambitious PHP Engineer with a good understanding of Laravel to join our small Engineering team at Helix and help shape our product, engineering culture, and team. This high-impact role will work closely with the Director of Engineering to provide technical thought leadership for the company, provide solutions to non-technical stakeholders, mentor other team members, as well as write solid, reliable code.
Role and Responsibilities:
This is an exciting time to join the Helix Engineering Team, as we experience rapid growth and expansion. Our Engineering Team is still quite small and you will play a significant role in shaping our platform.
- Provide technical thought leadership
- Write reliable, modular, testable code
- Provide thoughtful feedback on code reviews and be willing to receive constructive feedback on your own code
- Communicate clearly and effectively with non-technical stakeholders to help them achieve their goals
- Take ownership of projects/features and fill in gaps in product as needed
Background and Experience:
- Excellent working knowledge of modern PHP 7.0+ development.
- Experience working with MVC frameworks, such as Laravel, Symfony, or Yii
- Ability to prioritize coding tasks and ship code quickly and regularly
- General awesomeness and a sense of humor; appreciation of high quality sleep products
Preference will be given to candidates with the following experience:
- Experience with the Laravel framework
- Experience working with large volumes of data
- Experience working with Vue.js
Extra bonus points if you:
- Have tinkered around with servers
- Have always had a passion to create stuff
Compensation and Benefits:
We offer competitive start-up rates with access to a senior leadership team, awesome benefits, and unlimited nap time. Full healthcare coverage, including medical, dental, and vision. We offer weekly catered team lunches, a stocked kitchen with coffee and snacks, a free personalized mattress, and an awesome Perks program. This is a full-time, salaried role.