We are seeking an ambitious PHP software engineer with a strong understanding of Laravel to join our small engineering team at Helix and help shape our product, engineering culture, and team. This high-impact role will work closely with the Director of Engineering to provide technical thought leadership for the company, provide solutions to non-technical stakeholders, mentor other team members, as well as write solid, reliable code.
Role and Responsibilities:
This is an exciting time to join the Helix Engineering Team, as we experience rapid growth and expansion. Our engineering team is still quite small and you will play a significant role in shaping our platform.
- Provide technical thought leadership
- Write reliable, modular, testable code
- Provide thoughtful feedback on code reviews and be willing to receive constructive feedback on your own code
- Communicate clearly and effectively with non-technical stakeholders to help them achieve their goals
- Take ownership of projects/features and fill in gaps in product as needed
This is an in-office or partial / full-time remote role.
Background and Experience:
- PHP — At least 4 years of experience working with PHP 7.0+.
- Laravel — At least 3 years of experience working with Laravel.
- Git — Basics and workflows.
- MySQL — Basic understanding of query optimization.
- Linux — Know the basics of navigation around via the command line.
- Ability to prioritize coding tasks and ship code quickly and regularly.
Preference will be given to candidates with experience in any of the following:
- Vue.js — Experience working with Vue.js
- Shopify — Experience working with Shopify and their APIs.
- Data volume — Experience working with large volumes of data
- DevOps — Have experience setting up servers and maintaining them.
- CI/CD — Experience with Jenkins, GitLab pipelines, etc.
- Testing — Experience with PHPUnit, Codeception, Behat or similar. Also experience with Test Driven Development (TDD).
- Strong communication skills.
- Have always had a passion to create stuff.
- Robust benefits plan including medical, vision, dental
- Subsidies for healthy initiatives
- Weekly catered lunches and a pantry of snacks and beverages
- Dog-friendly office in beautiful Madison Square Park
- Mattresses, Pillows, and Sheets – oh my!
- Flexible vacation policy
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive start-up rates with access to a leadership team
- Robust benefits plan including medical, visual, dental and subsidies for healthy initiatives
- Stock Options
- 401K program